Tuesday, April 22, 2008

to my class...

Ok, so I guess I will be a little bit cheesy..


I want to take this oppurtunity to thank everyone in the class for the active participation in group discussions. Although many of us did not speak everyday, and some people spoke more than others, I feel that we have all learned alot from one another. I feel that the best way to learn is from others and I truly feel that I got this out of the course.

Alot of the material we covered was controversial and many different reactions and responses were formed from some of what we learned. I appreciate that although we all come from different religious backgrounds, we were able to listen to each other and think about what the other is trying to say. Although we may not agree with some comments, we never condoned a person or told them their opinion was wrong. This allowed class discussions to flow smoothly. Even though many of us had different ideas in our heads, we were open and accepting to different possibilities posed by classmates.

The structure of this type of class is hard since it is largely based on discussion. We all want to say what we personally feel and believe, which is hard given the limited time we have. I think we all respected one another enough to acknowlege different viewpoints. The blog allowed us to share our opinions and to recieve feedback from classmates. I think this was helpful because we have the ability to respond to a class members thoughts directly.

I hope that everyone had as positive of an experience as I did learning from all of you. You have all taught me a great ideal about your own Jewish identities, how they were formed, and how they actively play a role in your everyday lives. I hope that you continue to form your Jewish identities since it is a never ending process and that this class, our classmates, and our blogs helped you all to do so. Thanks for a great semester (even though the class was at 9:30 AM!)

2 comments:

Julia Filson said...

Awww! Yes this was an amazing semester and each and every one of us contributed to the success of this class. What I found to be the most interesting is how we shaped each topic and found loop holes to other topics. It was fascinating to see how everyone's minds worked. Kudos!

Alison said...

I completely agree, this class was definitly worth the time and I learned a lot not only from the readings, but from other people. It's nice to actually have class discussion about something relevant and thought provoking.