Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Library during Passover

If finals approaching and endless hours slaving over work are not bad enough, try throwing observing Passover in as well. Well this year, its a reality. I have a great deal of work to do and feel as though the library is the best place to get it done. So before I bury my head in books, I head downstairs to the food court where I can normally find something to eat. Unfortunatly for us Jews, there is nothing!

Of course there are salads and yogurt but everything else cannot be eaten if one is observing Passover. I try and bring food from home but between running back and forth between the library and class I need to grab something, and there is nothing! It is not only the library, rather all buildings which serve food on the campus are virtually oblivious to the fact that there are a percentage of students on this campus observing Passover. There is no matzah, which is a staple. Is this discrimination towards Jewish students on campus? Of course we can go to Chabad and Hillel but what if we don't have the time? Why cant the library offer matzah as they do crackers, chips, bagels, doughnuts, pizza, bread sticks, subs, breaded chicken sandwiches, and other items we cannot eat. Maybe I am just really hungry while I write this post but I feel a little offended that there is no option for the observing Jew when it comes to food on campus!

6 comments:

Trottfather said...

I completely agree and do not understand why there are zero accommodations at the food centers here. You would think that due to this campuses higher than average Jewish population they would be able to help us observe our holiday a little more. I mean if we have presidential candidates making note of the holiday then maybe the school should do the same. I do remember that last year Wright Food Center did have matzah available but I believe that is not the case this year and I do think that this is ridiculous. Good luck finding food cause I know I am gonna need it.

Carly said...

I definitely agree! While I have been eating all of my meals at Hillel and plan to for the duration of the Holiday, it is a big inconvenience. I have had to plan my entire week around getting to Hillel for lunch and dinner all week.... it really surprises me that the Jewish population on this campus that there are no accommodations. I don't understand how a university like this can have such a Jewish presence and not accommodate it? Is it ignorance? I think that if we want this to change we must write to the RHA and find a way to get Kosher for Passover food around campus!!

Lisa's F359 Blog said...

I agree with you 100%. I was trying to keep kosher for Passover it is not working out very well. I have all of my finals this week so it has been one stressful week so far. Last night actually at like 2am I broke itwithout really thinking. I was stressed out and just wanted to eat so I got in my car and drove to get jimmy johns. I totally was not thinking about Passover. I felt so bad after the fact.

Ashley Rabin said...

I also agree with you. I was at the library embarassingly late last night (or early I should say) and after running around all day, doing homework, etc. I realized I had not eaten. I was starving and there was nothing to eat for those of us observing Passover. I had to settle for potato chips which I'm pretty sure weren't even too kosher for Passover either. On a campus where there is a possiblity that 10% of the population is keeping the holiday, there should be some considerations made. It's even hard to find Matzah anywhere in Bloomington. Shame on IU for not taking this into consideration! You are all welcome to AEPhi for Kosher for Passover Meals...breakfast lunch and dinner!

Julia Filson said...

This is a difficult issue to talk about. On one hand we are at a public university and there is no reason that they should favor anyone based on the religious circumstance. On the other hand, we allll know they serve fish on fridays during lent. grrrr.

Alison said...

Agreed, you would imagine that on a campus with such a big Jewish population there would be better options for Passover. Of course there is Hillel and everything, but that's not always an option. Also my sorority has kosher for passover food but some girls won't even eat that because our kitchen is not kosher. I imagine it would be extremely challenging to find food at odd times of the day unless you had already bought it.