Tuesday, April 22, 2008

final F359 thoughts

As the end of the semester approaches, I want to take the time to describe my experience in F359. I have been surrounded by Judaism since age 6 where I attended day school until 17. I then came to IU and decided to recieve a Jewish area certificate through taking Jewish studies courses and Hebrew. I also traveled to Israel abroad in the spring semester of 2007. So with all of these factors I feel as though I have a good sense of my Jewish identity. BUT WAIT! I have learned so much from the course that my Jewish identity has been strengthened.

Through class discussions, reading materials, and information Judah presented us with, I feel that I was able to explore new possibilities which I had never before. Through learning about Black Jews, Messianic Judaism, different Jewish magazines and music, sects, organizations and many other topics, I have found myself asking what these all mean in terms of my Jewish identity. I feel that by learning all of this additional information on Judiasm I have been able to reflect on what Judaism means to me. I am glad that I took this course (even though a requirement for me to graduate) because it opened my eyes to new possibilities. As a soon to be college graduate I am going to be experiencing all types of people through different social interactions and situations. I hope that my old and new religious identity will be able to guide me in some areas of my life.

No comments: